July 11, 2011

Collabrative Consumption

Imagine a new way of consuming and creating as artists with fewer obstacles and limitations!

A post over on the Etsy Blog got me thinking about collaborative consumption in regards to the Spokane art scene. There are so many amazing tools for artists, but many of them come with enormous commitments, and not just monetarily...Imagine not being limited in the tools you could use to create, having resources of recycled materials, and free disposal of unwanted materials! That is just the tip of the iceberg.

Gutting and rebuilding our house (for almost two years now) we've been surrounded by power tools and supplies that I would have never been exposed to otherwise. Not only has my work changed and grown, but my mindset - some of the limitations I didn't know existed have been lifted. We had our friend Karla over last week just so she could play with power tools (it was fantastic). What would Karla make if she had unlimited access to tools when she wanted them?

Jacinda and I are dreading the day our fathers finally decide to steal everything back! We have purchased many of our own, but the big nice ones...nail guns, chop saws, belt sanders, etc - we have become so accustomed to using we are going to have to invest in for keeps. We've been spoiled.

I feel like there is endless potential, and on the other hand one bad egg could be disastrous. I am sure I have posted this prematurely...I must marinate this idea - but I would love to hear about your thoughts!...Or successes?

1 comment:

Annette said...

I totally agree! Working in the Civic Theatre scene shop, I was allowed to use many power tools. I know exactly what you mean about that creative barrier you didn't know existed before. Unfortunately, I don't have access to those tools for my own use, and I miss using them sometimes. At least I have a drill.